Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Thank you kindly sir. My thought is that for things that go bump in the night and get ones heart rate up my first choice to defend my home is a 12 ga with the handguns for backup.

My wife shoots handguns well but between my work and hunting she spends some night solo. I've made the choice to give her the best options to defend herself and she shoots the Benelli well. Better yet she trusts it 110% as she has probably 3k RDS through her hunting Benelli and its familiar and comfortable to her.

Hell she demands it reside in the corner on her side of the bed. Lol

My old man swears by his 1300 for HD. He got a shorter barrel somewhere, got an extended tube (6+1 IIRC) with barrel clamp, sourced a spare stock set that he cut down the buttstock and bolted a short section of picatinny rail with a light via 1" Weaver scope ring to the front left side of the pump so he can trigger it with his left thumb. He figures he is into it for under $400 and 10 minutes and a few hand tools its back to bird mode.

May not be as pretty or gasp "tactical" (I hate that word) as my Benelli but sure the hell works just as well.

All the best.

OMG a wife that shoots! can it get any better than that???
That 1300 of your dad's sounds very nice and affordable! Mine sits next to the bed along with a Beretta 96 and a S&W 686 plus! Flashlights, mags and speed loaders are within easy reach also! I also have a Kel-tec sub 2000 that uses the Beretta mags (40 S&W) where I can easily stumble over it. I like the idea of having both a carbine and handgun that uses the same mags and ammmo while I clear the house!

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns! (from a 1960's bumper sticker)