Originally Posted by Lionclaw
I am looking for a 7mm Rem Magnum for longer shots primarily for elk hunting. Looking for a good quality rifle with about 26 inch barrel that has the attributes of long range rifle should have. The only one I have seen so far are the Browning X bolt and A bolt. Before I buy one of those I thought I would ask how good they are and if there are other better choices that you all would recommend. My Budget is about 1200. However for a really good buy and quality I can be a little more flexible.

Many Thanks

If I had $1,200 and wanted a 7mmRM with high odds of being a very accurate rifle, I would build it.

Get a model 700 SPS donor for around $400. Find a laminate take-off factory stock for $150 (they are solid and have some weight to them). Have a quality stainless barrel installed in factory magnum contour or maybe a #4 with a 1" shank ($5-600). Have the stock bedded and the trigger tuned ($200). You should come in somewhere around $1,200 and this would be my route for getting the most reliable accuracy odds for that money. The naked rifle would be around 8lbs. It is likely that the prices listed above could be beaten with a little research.

Now with even more aplomb