I chose the 300 WSM for a couple of reasons. First, it is capable of more horsepower than the 30-06 at a level of recoil that is tolerable in a light weight rifle. It is about max recoil I want to tolerate in a 7.5 lb rifle. I had a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM. It weighed 6lb 15oz and was a bit much with full power 180/200 gr loads. Second, I like the platofrms I've tried it in - Montana and Win M70 EW. My EW fits me very well, absorbs recoil well, and shoots where I point it.

On the cartridge itself, I've owned several 300 Win Mags and don't see much practical difference between the WSM and WM versions. My WSM gets handy to 3000 ft/sec with a 180 Partition. My other WM's would get 3050 and burn 4-10 grains more powder to get there. I'll take a lighter rifle and 50 ft/sec less velocity. Case life and case trimming on the WSM case is outstanding. Plus all 3 WSM's I've had have been accurate. Can't attribute all that to the cartridge but it is an interesting coincidence. I'll have one in my safe for the rest of my life.............

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.