I'm in the midst of loading up all my empty brass before moving and took a couple minutes to try something out. I've already figured my loads for my .222 (700 BDL) and though Xterminator consistently produces a bit tighter group, IMR4198 is available and does well enough with Hornady 50 gr sp and spsx as well as Win 50 gr sp. For gits and shiggles I tried some 55 gr Hornady sp for groups last week and I'll be damned if they didn't shoot really well, again a bit tighter with Xterminator, but hell 1/2" at 100 with IMR4198 and just a bit higher POI than the 50s. Figured I'd better not bitch. So long story short I wanted to try the 55 w/ cannelure against the 50 sp to see if there was any appreciable difference in performance. Both loaded with 20 grains IMR4198 shot into water filled milk jugs at 15 yards. Not a whole hell of a lot of difference, but a bit. The 55 was a bit wider of a mushroom, and the lead was still in the jacket when I poured it out of the 3rd jug. The 50 was in 2 pieces, and the mushroom was smaller, the jacket material had peeled further back and it barely made it into the 3rd jug. I threw them on the powder scale, and the 55 weighed in at 29.4 grains and the 50 at 23.1 grains.

I thought it was kinda neat and thought I'd share.

MAGA