Originally Posted by wyoming260
Originally Posted by pointer
FWIW, I'd pronghorn is WY is near the last of hunts I'd pay for access for. With a year to plan it wouldn't be that hard to find a place to hunt without paying for access.
Finding a place to hunt for free is not difficult. Finding a place to hunt that is not overrun with people is another story. It does not take many hunters in a given area to stir up the antelope and the areas around here have been selling huge numbers of tags...... I live here and watch antelope all year, and am still carrying my tag with two days to use it........ A good quality hunt for antelope is not getting any easier or cheaper....
While not completely disagreeing with you, but I have been happy with all my pronghorn hunts in WY. I've hunted private (just for the asking), BLM, and most often private that's enrolled in an HMA. The first weekends on BLM and HMAs can be a bit busy, but after that it quiets down a ton IME. Sure, they may be a bit more skittish, but I've never not filled a tag due to lack of opportunities. Sure, I've never killed any truly big bucks but I've been happy with the one's I've killed.

Just thought I'd give the OP another perspective. With a year to plan, it would be highly possible to narrow down a unit with likely draw odds and free access. Besided federal land, I'd also suggest the OP look at the PLPW section of the WY F&G website.