Last week my BIL went with his granddaughter to test drive an older used pickup she was interested in. Supposedly the engine had just been rebuilt. He took it to a shop for a checkover and the mechanic told him to not touch it as it had some 'issues'. He was driving it back at 60 on the freeway when the throttle took over and went to top speed. He switched off the key but it didn't kill the engine. He had both feet on the brake and the fronts locked up while the rears kept pushing. He almost went under the rear of a semi but was able to get it to the shoulder with the brakes smoking like crazy. One he got it stopped, with the rears still spinning, he put it in N, then to P. At that point, the engine finally shut off.

He called the owner who threatened to report it as stolen if he didn't return it immediately. He has AAA so he had it towed back to the guy's house. The guy then threatened to sue him if the pickup was damaged in any way. I think if he tried that, he would be biting off more than he can chew. My BIL was more than PO'd by this time.

I wonder how many other people will test drive this thing before someone gets killed.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.