I had some time to kill tonight so I made a light mount for my new stock on my 375 RUM. I find having the ability to mount a weapons light to my big game rifles to be very handy. In the past the addition of the light has saved my bacon during a brown bear charge. I credit the bright light as probably the biggest factor to shutting down that predatory charge.

In the past I had placed the mount on the left side of the forearm by mounting a rear Remington 700 weaver base. This actually works quite well but when shooting the big kickers from the bench it can sometimes catch your left hand and stings like a winch. This is what I have done in the past.

[Linked Image]

After seeing the light mount that Phil Shoemaker has on his famous 458 WIN I decided to try that style of mount for the new stock.

I started out with a piece of broken rail that came off the top of an AR15. I milled it down to the shape and size that I wanted.

[Linked Image]

Then I relieved a groove in the end of the stock for the rail mount to set in. This was all chisel work and not being a very good wood worker took me quite a while to get it where I wanted it.

[Linked Image]

The rail mount fits very well. I have one small screw at the front to hold it in place for now. I left it free to wiggle a little bit so I can �aim� the light before locking it in place with bedding material. I had to take the head of the screw down a touch to make sure it wouldn�t touch the barrel. It is essentially free floated back to the pressure point. I still have to to get it ceracoated to match the parkerized finish of the rifle and then will permanently attach it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It turned out about perfect. It fits on the rifle well and I think it will be a much cleaner, sleeker, way to wear the light. You couldn�t really sling the rifle with the old style light mount, and this just looks much better. Its still very easy to manipulate the controls of the light and the light was very easy to �aim� to be right where the sights sit at 15-20 feet. Its amazing how much more confidence I have while tracking a wounded animal or walking in and out in the dark with a light on the rifle. I don�t use this as a replacent for a regular head light or hand held flashlight but in its niche it is very handy.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albu...-B040-BBFE77FE93CF_zpsa206sa6p.jpg[/img]