Naw - I just missed "adventure".

Monday I drove the Bravo several blocks to work and back, then took the harvest report over to F&G. Where I ran out of gas. Normally I get about 70 miles on a tank with that little one-banger, if I'm just riding cross country runs. Pulling that load, ( I've never done more than a couple caribou before) I got 32 and those several blocks.

To quote comedian Ron Smith, "That's a valuable piece of information!"

Ear tip to ear tip went 30 inches. As with every other bull I've measured, each ear is 11 inches from head to tip, and 8 inches between ear bases. Haven't weighed a hind yet, but did weigh front and hind lower legs, hair on a not precise bathroom scale. Front went 5 lbs, hind went 7.

Here is something I want some feedback on if you all will.

This is my 21st? moose- but my first winter kill. The others, all taken in August or mostly in September, I hung for several days, depending on temp, as I do with caribou taken in the same time frame. Not aging Aug/Sept caribou has resulted in tougher meat, but not on the winter, quick frozen ones.

I've taken more winter caribou than Aug/Sept ones, and never had a tough winter 'bou. Kill 'em, gut 'em, let 'em freeze hide on or off, then butcher a few days/weeks later. No prob with tough.

On Wednesday, I thawed out one of the moose back straps and cut a few steaks.

It was seemingly tough even under the knife, so I quit. The rest is still in the refrigerator, aging. The rest of the moose is going the same route - thawing for a couple days, then several days of aging (right where I skinned out those caribou on the living room floor last year... smile ) before I process.

Your comments/experience on similar conditions/species?

And yeah, I am aware this moose is just post rut - but so were those 5 bull caribou I killed last November. So i have some questins about the whole situation.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.