I have a Winchester (top eject)that I will be taking to camp next week. I am using the Hornady 220Gr. FP w/ 37gr RL#7 and it's been terminal on whitetails, black bear and pigs.

I bought this rifle from a hunter from Maine who purchased it new and had taken deer, black bear and several moose with it using factory ammunition. The rifle came with 2 boxes of the 250 gr. loads and a partial box of 200 gr.

I'm using the Hornady 220gr. FP and Barnes "Original" 255gr. FN, I have not tried the 200gr. Sierra but have read some positive reports.

For powders I have had good luck with RL# 7 and AA 1680 (of which I haven't seen any in ages).

As for it's lack of popularity (and these are just WAG's), introduced in the 70's when there was no demand for another rimmed lever gun cartridge and limited rifles chambered for it (Winchester, Savage & Marlin).

I enjoy walking the woods with mine and will never part with it, this time next week I will be in the UP sitting at the edge of a swamp with my 375 WCF in my hands hoping to catch a buck sneaking in to escape the activity in the woods and fields near by.

SC

Last edited by StarchedCover; 11/09/14. Reason: spelling

Semper Fi