Barrel seems OK now. I don't know how much better it could get with me pulling the trigger. I did install a DIP bottom metal but haven't shot with it yet.

While I'm posting, I'll take time to share some insight if you should have to return anything to Savage.

1. Do not ship anything except the rifle and bolt. Maybe the magazine since I did get mine back. I left everything in the box as purchased in case the dealer might swap it with a new one. I received back a different box with no accessories, manual, etc..

2. If you are sending in for a rebate make sure to remove the UPC label prior to returning. The box I received did not have one.

Savage customer service said that all boxes returned to them are destroyed and the repaired firearms are shipped in a new box. My repaired rifle was shipped in a different box but certainly not a new one since it had marks from a different type of rifle. They promptly sent all of the replacement accessories and an email to print and use in place of the missing UPC.