I bought a Montanna in .308 for my son,the day after he was born.I liked it so much,I bought another one in .300 wsm.I never used it for elk but I've killed loads of deer with it.I live in Pa and hunt some steep mountainous terrain in the northcentral part of the state.It's light,accurate and just feels good in my hands.I put talley mounts on it and a 3x9 Sightron big sky.My favorite load is 45gr of varget behind a 165 gr accubond.I've yet to have a deer take a step and only recovered one bullet that traveled lengthwise through a doe and lodged under the skin in front of her chest.When son son turned 9 this past year,he wanted to start using it.I loaded 42.5gr of IMR3031 behind a 125 accubond for him.He handles the mild recoil fine and has killed two deer with that load.I'll most likley use the 300 wsm this deer throughout deer season but I'll be getting another Montanna in .308 after Christmas.I couldn't imagine a season without ne in my hands.If elk were on the list as much as deer,I'd probably opt for a 300 wsm but that's me.