I told our little guy yesterday that it wasn't a birthday or Christmas present but a "you're growing up and need your own deer rifle" present...here is the look that followed:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]MG][/URL]
[Linked Image]

Rifle is a Ruger 77 .243 Win. that was shortened about an inch, so the LOP is perfect to get him started. I picked the rifle up from a forum member here and then topped it with a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40. I put together some reduced loads with SR4759 and 70 gr. BT's, but will move up to 90 gr. Accubonds or Partitions for hunting.

The highest shot on the target is mine from sighting in the scope, then Layne put the two inside of it. He hit a small steel target at 100 yards and finished the day with two center hits on a larger steel target at 200. I won't let him shoot at deer that far, but needless to say he is pretty excited about getting his chance this season. A couple of the spots we hunt I can set him up to shoot prone using a bipod and then we will also do some hunting out of a ground blind and using shooting sticks, so we will spend some time practicing that way between now and Thanksgiving.

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 11/17/14.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."