We had a Cold and Snowy opening day here in Misery. Lot of crops in the field still. Our regular spot we hunt has limited visibilty with the crops in so we kinda a winged it and hunted a waterway alongside the bean field. My stepson missed a chance at a good buck yesterday morning due to a wardrobe malfunction. "He couldnt get his finger in the trigger guard due to his gloves were to big".

So about noon we went to another farm and hastily set up a ground blind overlooking another waterway and uncut beans. We could see a little more country here plus we could get out of the weather in the blind. We got in the blind about 1:30 and didnt see anything until about 4:00. Had a doe come out of the brush along the river and feed into the beans. A little later I seen a wide buck come out of the brush and then step back in about 300 yds off. I told My stepson to get ready.

He declined and said "I want you to shoot it you always give me first chance and I want you to kill one" What could I do. The buck stepped back into the brush and little later a doe squirted out and ran into the beans. The buck came out trailing her across the waterway. I had a shooting stick for a rest but somehow managed to shoot over the buck. I watched him run out into the beans and then lost him when he went down in a ditch.

I kept glassing and finally found him standing in the beans all I could see was his antlers moving back and forth. Then I found the doe he would chase the doe around in the middle of the bean field. The doe finally took off running straight at us. The buck followed and eventually ended up standing broadside at 100 yards. As he was in tall beans all I had was a neck shot so I shot him in the neck. He dropped in his tracks.

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

I was shooting a Beretta Mato 7mm Rem Mag. 6x42 leupy 140 TSX which way overpenatrated It did however leave three of the petals on the exit against the hide.
[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

Buck is 23" outside both sides of his rack are coated with old matted up blood. He had been gored in the chest and several rips in the hide on his back.
My ugly mug

My Stepson he was happier than I was.

It was snowing the entire afternoon and I had always wanted to shoot a buck in the snow.

Nimrod1949 I got your knife bloody. Thanks Joel

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....