I have a piece of property that I hunt on. 280 acres. the surrounding area is somewhat suburban. There are many places I can discharge a firearm using the 500 feet from residence rule/law. I have a Black Mouth Cur I use for squirrels and starting on coon. I want to shoot the squirrels but also want to be a little quiet about it, no sense in alarming the neighbors. I have a Crosman TR77 pellet gun. nice and quiet, 1000fps. I have a Ruger Single Six with a 4 5/8" barrel that I would prefer to use. I have some CCI quiet ammo which shoots out of a rifle at 710 fps.

The question I have is, I never worry if I miss the squirrel and tree when shooting up using the pellet gun. Just shoot up in the air and no fear that it will hurt human or damage property. Is there a difference shooting the .22 lr quiet? even with a lower velocity, will it travel farther? could it potentially land somewhere that it could do property damage or bodily harm?

I guess I am wondering if a .22 quiet round will travel farther at 710fps than a pellet at 1000fps.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna