The 2.5-8 is my favorite scope. It is shorter and gives more clearance when mounted low than a 3-9x40 or 3.5-10x40.

It is as useful at short range as a 1.75-6 [I bought one for my .375 and now wish I had spent the money on a 2.5-8x36] and better at longe range.

The lowest setting allows me to see the target easily with both eyes open, I use that in close cover.

It has enough power on the upper end to see .30 cal bullet strikes at 200 yds and .22 strikes at 100.

I am used to the range finder option.

I use it for big game and varmints. I have them on an 84L Montanna '06, a M70 SS FW '06 and a Classic M70 SS .338. I plan to have one on my .375 by next fall.

I tend to hunt careas of close cover and like to stalk so I rarely shoot a first shot at game past 300 yards. In the last twenty years I have shot 4 deer at around 285 yards, an elk at 250 or so and an antelope this year at 268 yards as near as I could tell.

I have had opportunities at longer ranges and would take one if the presentation was very good. The 2.5-8 scopes are certainly up to the task. I had a very nice antelope in my sights at a bit over 400 yards this year and it was easy to see. It was rump on to me though. I had it ranged so the holdover would have been easy enough. The wind was about 30 mph though. I passed.

No, I do not use a different scope for load work up.

The 3.5-10 is a nice scope too. I put those kind of scopes on 7mm and .300 mags though.