Archery is a close range intimate event if you're a hunter. With that in mind there is no difference today then at any time in the past. Getting close is the thrill and the skill

If you're a shooter, then longer ranges seem to be the trend. However Physics is still the same. Shooting 330fps means you're shooting sub 400 grain arrows. These light arrows shed speed faster so the end result is less noticeable where power is concerned the further away your target is. Heavy arrows retain their speed longer.

Heavy arrows are quieter to shoot, easier on the bow, penetrate by a huge margin better. They do not shoot 330fps, more likely in the 250-280 range.

Having had plenty of hunters with both kinds of equipment in Africa hunting with me. I have seen the absolute failure of high velocity arrows at 50 yards many times!

I have also seen the brilliant performance of heavy 450-500 plus grain arrows at 30 yards. There must be a happy medium, I suppose? Something in the area of 275-300 fps with 400-450 grain arrows?

In fairness, if you can shoot 70plus pounds easily at 30" draw then you can shoot 450-500 grain arrows pushing 300fps. Just not a lot of guys capable of this day in day out.

Draw length is a key factor in overall power. A 26" draw typical of many of my lady hunters is not going to have the same power that a 30" draw will. I had a fella with a 26.5" draw. He was about 5'5" tall. But his bow was 80lbs! Those short stiff arrows were like crossbow bolts from that bow!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)