Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
You know, for LR, I see the merits of high vel rounds. For our kinda local hunting, I'm not so sure.

Like the 80 gr. .240 at 3,600 fps. It's really not a LR round because that little bullet loses knock down at extended ranges, doesn't hold velocity and KE well enough to be a LR contender for deer sized animals. Smaller critters, maybe so.

The 26 Nosler with 140 NAB's, 142 and 150 Matrix VLD's, 140 Berger VLD's, etc. should be a good LR round with fairly adequate wallop way down range.

I don't think these hyper vel rounds offer much over std. rounds for 200 yd. and under everyday deer hunting. And, bullet selection isn't that critical; most any good C&C projectile will do the job at 2,800 or so fps.

Learning as I go; that's my current thinking on the subject. As always, appreciate input.

DF

I think that's pretty valid.

Interestingly I've settled on AB's as a got to for several rifles from 110 grain in my .257 Weatherby at approximately 3400 up to 200 grain in .338 around 2800.

All have performed very, very well, as a matter of fact I don't remember any animals moving much after shooting them, but the terminal performance is never the same based on speed, distance, and angle of shot.

Essentially, stating the obvious that external factors obviously influence terminal performance. But I've been happy with AB's because they consistently give me great results with a broad spectrum of variables.