I have had the extreme pleasure of hunting with a field bred springer for 13 years and then with a very nice Boykin for 12 seasons. I am a big fan of the flushing breeds and have been fortunate to have had the opportunity to hunt wild Iowa pheasants on almost unlimited acreage for over 25 years. I did meet up with a guy with a really small English Cocker and his dog was really good. it did not cover as much ground as my springer, but it did a really nice job for us on the couple of hunts that we shared. I think you would be very happy if you can find a pup to purchase from a good hunting background.

This is where I veer slightly off topic. My springer was a very different dog from my Boykin. The springer had more drive and covered a considerably larger piece of real estate during a hunt. However, I constantly had to be on her to stay in gun range and she was a very stubborn girl. The Boykin on the other hand, seldom needed to be slowed down and was really good at not getting too far out in front of you. If I decide to get another upland dog, I will more than likely get a Boykin from proven hunting lines. The Boykin was also extremely useful in fetching waterfowl and would track wounded deer. I dearly loved all of my dogs and treasure the memories of hunting with them.

Best of luck in your search for a new hunting partner.

Last edited by oznog; 11/26/14.