After applying for 8 years I was able to draw a moose tag in a prairie farmland zone 50 miles from my farm. Here the moose live in bushes anywhere from halfacre in size to 100 acres and are doing very well eating on crops, alders and willows in the absence of wolves or natives. They are recent residents of the last 20 years. I really wanted a representative mature bull and had permission from literally dozens of farmers to begin hunting. The moose are spread out over many many miles and it is like a needle in a haystack to locate bulls, evaluate them and get a plan to hunt them. In 4.5 days of hunting I saw 76 moose 23bulls. I passed on couple of 48"plus bulls that had broken fronts or thin paddles. I was siting in a huge 1000acre grain field in a snow squall wondering where to go next when this bull trotted out of a ravine and one shot from my old Supergrade 338Win Mag with 200 grain accubonds he fell in a very small slough. Was very impressed with the penetration of the accubond, he was trotting away from me, I threaded the bullet from rear flank through paunch,lungs and liver to rest on off shoulder. As I was 30 miles from my closest friend with a tractor, I used my winch in the front of my truck, with a custom made ramp and said moose was on the way home in 10 minutes. These moose have been eating wheat, alfalfa and canola all summer and really get some big body mass on them, and are very good eating moose. I realize its not a wilderness hunt, I have hunted them that way as well over the years, but it was an experience I will never forget.
[Linked Image]

My son who was a great hunting partner as always

[Linked Image]

My recovery unit
[Linked Image]

I really liked the front points on him
[Linked Image]

Last edited by BattleRiver; 11/27/14.