Originally Posted by jimmyp
I cannot imagine the 7-08 would recoil much less than the 308 win, was wondering if there was enough difference in the two to justify a 7-08 over the 308 in a Kimber Montana. I reload so bullets of even 110 grains are available in 30 cal.

Nope, but I think the justification goes the other way. The default is the 7mm-08, you have to find a reason to justify choosing .308 instead. There is one though it's kind of weird and maybe not for everyone. There are quite a few flat points meant for the .30-30 than can be shot from reduced loads in the .308. At one time there were a couple flat point 7mm bullets for the 7-30 Waters but I have not seen any on a shelf in at least a decade.

In the Montana ... well, I have a .308 and wish I'd bought a 7mm-08 or .257 Roberts instead. I'm not real happy with it. I shot it today at 300 and it just will not do better than 2MOA. .308 is just not as much cartridge as I hoped for and the accuracy I wanted is lacking. After 3, maybe 4 years, it'll be going up for sale soon.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...