Originally Posted by BullShooter
Originally Posted by Paulh
... As you see both fired cases from two different rifles match the SAAMI spec for the 30-40. ...

Paulh-
Actually, I cannot see whether any of these cases match SAAMI specs. My eyeball isn't sufficiently calibrated to find, for example, whether your case body diameters fall within the SAAMI spec of 0.4142" min to 0.4222" max at a distance of 1.600" from the case head.

What technique did you use to measure the dimensions of the fired and unfired cases?

Are you perhaps assuming that a case fire-formed in your rifle's chamber will conform to SAAMI specs? At least in the case of your Krag rifle (if it still has the original chamber from Springfield Armory) that may not be true. SAAMI standards were not established until about 30 years after they stopped making Krag rifles.

What do your fired cases look like after they have been full-length resized? Do they still conform to SAAMI specs?

Just curious.

--Bob

Fired and FL resized cases are SAAMI. I used a caliper to measure. The new RP and WW cases are not as in the pic.

The shoulder difference doesn't make a difference in the krag, but the Ruger is loaded heavier. Therefore I will fire form them before working up loads in the ruger.

Last edited by Paulh; 11/28/14.