The scope on this rifle was a Vortex 6-18 (I think). I never looked through it until we were tracking this bull. I couldn't make out a bloody thing. Somehow the eyepiece focus was screwed out all the way and everything was blurry. No wonder he couldn't hit anything! I refocused it and gave itback to him. He was amazed at how clear it was now. He never said a word during the hunt. I asked him why he didn't say anything. He said that he just thought it must be a cheap scope!

Even though the scope was now focused. I felt better about my scope and bullets so we switched.

He has killed a cow before on a junior hunt with his dad's 30-06. He would have been better off with the -06 and the XP3 loads he uses in it. They were in shock and awe of the 'magnum' moniker on the other rifle and used it.

Funny how adding that word magnum makes people think it is automatically going to be a super killer!

I hope he learned from it but the kid is not a gun guy and will probably be influenced by whatever and whomever he hunts with in the future.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.