Originally Posted by rcamuglia
They probably like rear entry and firm up accordingly....

laugh laugh

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by rosco1
thanks for the report..Havent heard of that much azz shootin in awhile, but its a pretty decent bullet test ha.

They dont dig so deep at closer range IME

Having smashed bone as close as 40 yards with the same load, I've seen consistent deep-digging performance. What makes you say they don't do so well up close?

I shot a buck this year with a 162 Amax at 18 yards outta the .280.... Impact velocity would have been about 2825fps. That bullets zooked big-time..... entrance wound in the ribs was about 3".... no exit.... no big bones hit. Deer went down in a hurry.... and the insides were soup. But, I was very surprised to see less than 12" penetration.

I've used them before, and I'll use them again..... but this time it definitely didn't act like a bullet that'd go through 4' elk.

Entrance.....
[Linked Image]

Sounds like VLD-esque performance on that one. I'm sure IV had a lot to do with the penetration that we saw on these particular elk...

I have never had a VLD blow up on entrance. Had lots of AMAXs grenade on contact but it was expected and wanted. The 75gr AMAX at 3500fps is awesome coyote medicine if fur is of no interest.

Not a slam on AMAXs but they will without question open quicker than VLDs. That's what a poly tip does, opens on contact.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 12/03/14.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.