Jim,
Good points.
People tend to forget that most of us are apprentice dinosaurs and predate the majority of reloading manuals available today.

Sure, we are technically out of step with modern pressure testing equipment which is never available to the general public apart from isolated cases and so the use of the chronograph is still the bets option.

I have always been a handloader so any factory ammo I test is usually provided so I always include that in my chronographing session to including in the 40+ years of data I have accrued.

This an the book maximum velocities past and present will provide a "feel" for where approximate maximums lay.

Last weekend i was pushing 160gn Accubonds in my 26: barreled Model 70 using a range of powders.

Top end performance came from Rel 22, H 1000 and Retumbo with Rel 22 generating 100fps more than the other 2, with all 3 being on the smiley side of 3000fps.

My concern was that the REL 22 load was too hot though there was no sign of it in the physical characteristics we grew up using.

I went back to miking the cases having factory unfired, once fired, handloaded brass in unfired and one fired during these tests.

The Rel 22 load expanded the cases less than the 2 slower powder that produced less velocity, though again, all were more than 3000fps.

Brass life and primer pockets is still a reliable method of assessment as long as you are using the same batch of brass and controlling the management of cases during your assessments.

Accuracy can be achieved with a properly set up rifle and tweaking handloads and OAL's.

We also learn that by using a range of cartridges within any caliber, the killing effect between them often proves that velocity variance of even a couple of hundred fps (such as comparing a 7x57 with a 7mm Remington) does not have that much difference in the field.

However, and there is always a "however", we mostly, and I am guilty also, of trying to generate the highest velocities in combination with that accuracy requirement. I do not buy a magnum to load it down to a lesser equivalent though that is often mentioned as an option on here. Simply not my way of thinking, as the added trajectory is a comfort even if an unrealistic advantage, it is there.

So I wont give out my 3160fps velocity load for the 160gn Accubond but I will continue to re test it using firstly new cases from that same batch and then reloading over and over until I "learn" if that is too hot, as it shoots into .6MOA and has considerable value in utilization as a stalking rifle.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.