Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by rosco1
6.5x55..not really old school tho..

[Linked Image]

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. How does it shoot?

Fair, a good friend did most of the work on it,I had it at the range this fall while he was there and he asked to see what the old '96 could do. I rang the 1000 yard with it with it 4 times in a row, then dropped the 5th shot low right somehow. 140 amax, the old turd will hold its own.

I have a few more '96 and '98's in the larder, someday i'll get around to them..Looks like brownells has stopped making that remington-esc bolt shroud i have on that one. Wish i had bought a few for future builds now as its my favorite for the Mauser. Also that one has a Bold trigger on it, and it tunes up really nice along with whatever he did with the pin/spring to get the lock time down(he replaced it, but cant remember what with now)

That is the original military step barrel on it, he brazed a piece of conduit on it and it looks like a heavy barrel, but its just a Carl Gustav swede out of the bargain barrel with a few mods.

Here is a pic of what i'm talking about. the piece you see seperate from the rifle screws onto the threaded barrel, its also ported inside the tube which you cant see,kind of like an integral suppressor ..This was an experiment, and thats it. I honestly didnt think it would shoot at all after dinking with the barrel like that, but it shoots surprisingly decent..Is what it is,just a guy with a few tools doing an experiment on a more/less throw away rifle.
[Linked Image]

Same guy has a '93 in a 257 Roberts of mine that he's carving a piece of exhibition grade wood for. I bought that particular rifle years ago, and its a shooter.barrel is stamped "A.D Forkey, Texas". Dont know anything about Mr.Forkey, but he built a nice rifle, complete with hand engraving of big horn sheep,I picked it up "right"at an obscure mom and pop joint a long time ago..a few years later i busted the stock clean in half on it while hunting mule deer..hence the new handle getting installed.