The following are good with any quality H&G #68 or close copy. 1.250" OAL, W231 powder, Winchester primers and a good snug taper crimp to prevent bullet setback.

4.0 grains, for 626 fps. Cycles & feeds perfectly in my USGI pattern 1911, really thumps pests/small game load & shoots to the sights at 20 yards or a tad further. Quiet enough that a few rounds w/o earplugs will not deafen you. Will just shoot through a pine 2x4 and sink the nose in another behind it. A friend pointed out that the ballistics of this load is a near match for the old .38, 200 grain Super Police load and I would not hesitate to use it for indoor defense. I use this load to 'cycle-out' worn-out casings and stain them black to make them readily identifiable. A favorite 'fun load' and perfect for introducing small folks to the 1911.

Same as above except 5.0 grains, for 826 fps. Good accurate load with negligible recoil, groups right along with decent JHP's like WW/USA 230; shoots to the same POI out to 50 yards. Would serve fine as a defense load if that what happens to be in the gun.

I also use Missouri Bullet�s 225 grain Flathead loaded to 1.220� OAL over 5.4 grains of W231 for 840 fps from a 5" Rock Island 1911.

[Linked Image]

Shoots pretty good at 50 yards.

[Linked Image]

Closing thoughts- according to some references this is a tenth of a grain over the recommended max, for a similar 230 grain bullet. Use at your own risk. Also, at 1.220� OAL the shoulder of this bullet is just kissing the rifling of the Rock Island�s barrel. I was tempted to shorten it, but at that length it feeds perfectly in 1911 barrels with either the wadcutter or GI throat. At 770 or so fps, I was getting a bit of leading in the grooves. At 840 fps, it has all but disappeared. I�m guessing the bullet is obturating and filling the grooves better at the higher velocity. The load shoots great and it produces the numbers I wanted. It works- and I sure ain�t fixing it.

More here: http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/missouri-bullets-225-grain-flathead-for-the-45-auto/

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ