Originally Posted by Prewar70
So I have a load of BH209 in my new Rem Ultimate and I won't be hunting again until this coming weekend. Being new to the ML scene, is there any harm in leaving it loaded? of course I did remove the brass/primer from the chamber.

Thx

It just becomes a glorified storage container, and even with black powder, there are examples where guns have fired after decades of storage.

For safety, your factory ramrod should have grooves to mark and note at the muzzle face, when the gun is loaded and when the gun is empty. More than one person forgot they left a gun loaded, and then later added a second charge.

For short term performance during the hunting season, be aware of condensation. Having a gun outside in freezing temps, and then suddenly bringing the gun inside to warm temps, will condense the moisture within the air and have your gun looking like it took a dunk in the tub. Going back and forth like this can foul your charge with collected moisture. Though it has a top shelf breech and ignition system for sealing the charge, you still have an open fire channel with the case removed. Not sure if it would be wise to have a visibly marked dummy case to seal the breech when the gun is cased. Otherwise, it would not be as open as a caplock nipple, or a flintlock touch hole, but it would be open to collect moisture if ignition case were removed.

If the gun was kept cased in fairly consistent temps, then you should be okay, just monitor the gun for moisture. If the gun is seeing a huge temp swing, and you are seeing moisture collecting on the gun, then I'd probably play it safe and use a fresh charge the next hunting trip. It the gun is new to you, then I'd take advantage of the old load by firing on a target to test performance and practice. Then you will better learn the gun and can confirm or disporve any moisture issues.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood