There's a lot of cool factor in the Alaskan. It looks like you got a very good one. I like it. On your choice of scope (2.5-8x36), you'll more than likely need a set of extended bases or rings because of its short tube length. The 2.5-8x36 is a scope that calls to me as well, just be mindful of the difficulties you may have in mounting it on a long action like the pre 64. The 3-9x40 is going to be much more flexible in this regard. Keep us posted on your progress, what you end up doing as far as scopes, and how it shoots. Thanks!!

Originally Posted by Razz
I intend to put a Leupold VXIII 2.5x8 on it. After reading some posts and looking at pictures I am thinking about Leupold DD's and low rings, unless you all have a better idea. I also have a Leupold 3x9 40 I could use, but for some reason the 2.5x8 is calling me.

Razz, I looked and found this post by 1911a1 and I really like the looks of the control rings/bases. The same style would fit your 338 and the 2.5-8x36mm very nicely. They offer more lateral adjustment than the Leupold DD's. However, the leupold DD's are less expensive and would look and fit perfectly with the leupold 3-9x40 you mentioned. Take a look at 1911's rifles:

Originally Posted by 1911a1
Local D,
I've only used 3x9 and 2.5x8 leupolds in Conetrol and Redfield two piece mounts on pre 64's. I do have leupold duel dovetails on a late '90's vintage 300 win. stainless wood stock fwt. I like those mounts also.
I would like to try the latest vx2 in 2x7 and see how i'd like it on a FWT.

[Linked Image]
'61 30/06 FWT w/ 3x9 and Conetrols

[Linked Image]
'61 270 FWT w/ 2.5x8 and Conetrols

[Linked Image]
'57 270 standard rifle w/ 3x9 and two piece Redfields.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA