Entry level I'm beginning to think is a bad word for a camera. The difference in price between a D3300 and a D5300 is only about $150, depending on where you get it. Saw a D7000 on Amazon this morning for just under $500! Discontinued camera someone is geting out of stock would be my guess, claims it's new! I think that people getting into DSLR's think of entry level because of cost but I also think a really good photographer can take a better photo with a a $650 camera, with a 18-55 kit lens, D3300, than a beginner can with a $6500 camera, body only D4. If you can afford the bit better camera, that's the way I'd go. I started with a D70 maybe 12 yrs ago then upgraded to a D5000 when it came out. Only up grade that has occurred to me is higher pixel count which allow's me to crop a photo much better than the 6mp. Now I find when I'm out working with my dog's, pointing dogs, I carry my D70 with an after market 28-200 Sigma film lens that I'd bought for film camera's long ago.

There is so much these camera's can do I just can't see how anyone can learn to work all the most inexpensive, entry level, has! Spend what you can afford. I'd add forget the kit lens, 18-55 and go with a bit better range of 18-105 or 18-140. AI turned down the 18-55 when I got mt D5000 and got it with an 18-105. It works great for photographing my dog's. Then there are after market lens from 128-50 on up to 18-300 that you can get. The wider range will give you more option's at shooting distance. Lot of people tell us that they are to long and don't take as good photo's, not sure just how good a photo they think a new shooter can take!

One caution on the D5000series camera's. The D500 will not auto focus with any older lens or newer that don't have a focusing motor in the lens. I suspect the D5200 and D5300 are the same way but you can manual focus them. And there are plenty of lens the do work with them.

if you call someone about camera's, be sure to ask what they have in Refurbished lens. They are gone through in the factory and sold with a sellers guarantee and come with every thing a new one come's with but in a white box. I have a couple refurbished lens and they work very well.

Last edited by DonFischer; 12/14/14.