I gave my dad a Rem 700 KS chambered in 338 Win Mag this year.. I had a Gentry Quiet Brake put on it and the trigger done on it. He loves this rifle.. I loaded 200 gr Ballistic Silvertips..not real hot but mid book loads. The problem I am running into is that he has shot 3 deer this year with it and only one has left a blood trail.. the first one was a behind the shoulder shot at about 130 yds.. 2 drops of blood where he shot it and nothing til I found the deer. Second one he shot was behind the shoulder .. but it caught the left shoulder on exit and destroyed it.. left a great bloodtrail. Saturday evening he shot a 8 pt at about 115 yds and I didn't find a single drop of blood.. looked in the clearcut for a long time..til it got dark, the next morning we found it by buzzards.. this deer did not bleed a drop..he hit it pretty low and by looking at the shot placement it should have bled pretty well. I followed this deers back trail and didn't find a single drop of blood anywhere. Made him sick to lose a deer.. I am thinking that the vital area of a whitetail isn't solid enough to make these BST or Btips open up.. not giving them the shock that btips are famous for. What is another good bullet for whitetail out of a 338?? I am thinking about trying to find some of the discontinued 180 btips.. just want something that I know will open up on the soft side of a deer. What are you guys experiences..cuz it really sucks to find one after the buzzards and coyotes have been on it!! thanks for the help. Rob