In years past I have broken several pair of Talley Lightweights. Just as I began to grow more comfortable with them the thread surfaced here at the Fire with numerous reports of breakage. Where there's smoke there's fire, and the smoke is thick. I've grown weary of failed optics and mounts and moving to scopes with a reputation for reliability. The Talley's were the weak link.

I have never warmed up to dual dovetails, with no good reason, I just couldn't grow comfortable with them.

The other alternative would be a picatinny setup but I do not like a solid rail and height is also an issue.

Enter the Burris steal two piece rail with standard picatinny rings, as introduced to me by John (Hondo). The rail is .17" thick (front Rem 700). With both Seekins low 30MM and 1" rings the finished height is .400 which is exactly the height of low Talley LW's. The bases weigh a combined 2 oz, roughly the weight of Talley LW's. The rings weigh 4 oz. The net effect is 4 oz heavier than Talley LW's. I can live with 4 extra oz for exponential increase in reliability. I have high confidence in this setup.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]