Originally Posted by Foxbat
My mounts from my hunt in Austria 1.5 years ago are ready to be shipped. Only, we're having trouble on both sides figuring out how to ship them.

U.S. Customs is worthless for information. They send me to a link that just says there are no restrictions on cleaned hooves, antlers etc and tell me, "you should just get an import broker". Why would I get an import broker for a non restricted, perfectly legal, cleaned mount?

DHL says no problem, but says we have to fill out import paperwork to send to our friends in Austria who will ship it, so that DHL there knows someone is waiting for the mounts here in the U.S.

So I talk to DHL and they give me a link to an Export application for U.S. Fish & Wildlife, which is clearly not the correct form.

It's two completely legal and cleaned Roe Buck European mounts. They're not endangered, they're not CITES restricted. Is this really that difficult? I just don't want them confiscated.

Can they be brought in by a passenger on a commercial flight, will they still need import paperwork, then?

Several years back, I met up with a guy from here on the Fire who happened to be hunting in Scotland not far from my lease. The previous week he had shot what looked like a Silver Medal Roe and a is the custom, the Stalker had boiled out the skull and done a really nice European mount for him..

I later heard from the guy that he tried to carry it back to the US in his luggage but it had been confiscated by US Customs..I don't recall the exact reasons, but its good your taking the time to do some research..

Last edited by Pete E; 12/18/14.