As for 2 piece bases:

Leupold Mark 4 rings and bases are beefier than any mentioned thus far. PRWs are also very good.

I still have bunches of the fugly old Weavers in use. They work well.

I'll never get why the Burris Zee rings are popular. Only 2 screws in the rings, a noticeable thin spot, and a round cross slot screw. The screw isn't as beefy as others, makes less contact with the base than others, has a GAY slotted head, and I have seen the heads sheer right off when tightened. Plus they require lapping more often than not. No thanks.

Burris 2 piece Picatinny with Burris Xtreme tactical work well also......

[/quote]

You nailed it on the Burris Zee rings. The "why" of it is because too many guys listen to the doink behind the counter without actually thinking and looking for themselves and whenever you only zero your rifle once per year and fire one or two shots per year to tag-out, not a whole hell of a lot will go wrong or fail. Most guys just don't spend enough time on the range or with the tools of their "trade" in-hand.

So many rifles and so few riflemen.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.