Originally Posted by passport
Has anyone ever shot a deer with a Matchking? I know they say not too but dont they say that about the Secnar too?

Hundreds. SMK's main shortcoming is variability. Not just from bullet to bullet from the same model, but from caliber to caliber and weight to weight within the same caliber. Most suffer from fleet yaw variability, some more than others. Newer versions are more prone to deeper penetration before yawing due to the smaller opening in the nose.

Having said that- SMK's don't scare me and I would have little issue using them again depending on the caliber/cartridge. Penetration has never been an issue, and exits typically are around 3-5 inches with the .308 168, 175, 190, and 220gr versions.

As for the TMK's- they were designed for a reason and bonding wasn't one. Despite the misunderstanding of those that believe everything should be bonded, mono, or offer extremely deep penetration with the bullet looking like an ad afterwards, the TMK offers superb wounding characteristics and is an excellent open air bullet.