I'm trying to figure out where your priorities lie.

As others have noted, don't try to get by with cheap sights, either iron or optics.

You won't have various mounting options, like with modern rifles and scopes. The mounts are pretty much dedicated to the scope, and aren't the cheap part of the setup. MVA and DZ mounts run $400-500. The MVA B5 in Dan's photo with its "grasshopper" mount is a darned good choice, about $650 with the mounts included.

If you're of the age where vision is an issue, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Seems like most serious BPCR shooters are at or close to retirement age, with eye issues on schedule. That said, many or most of us can shoot irons reasonably well, and a scope doesn't necessarily lead to better accuracy. Seems counterintuitive, but silhouette scores tend to bear it out.

I've never felt the need for an eyepiece with a gazzilion holes. Just complicates things. Mine have about five or six holes, and I seldom change them.

Merit disks are not legal for NRA BPCR silhouette, but I have them on my modern sights. Regardless of type, an aperture sight is just a hole to look through. No need or advantage in overly complicating things. And it isn't the hole that can give you problems, it's the windage and elevation adjustments. That's where quality really counts.

Paul

Last edited by Paul39; 01/01/15.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.