I honestly believe you guys are overthinking this, wanting to measure marks on your sight, and calculating values and movement.

Hey, you've seen the sights I build and some of the old clanked out veterans that I've rebuilt, Paul.

Whilst in the throes of "overthinking" I'd like to just lay out some real SIMPLE mojo here.

* one takes .150" and divides it into 5 increments (e.g. the "not .010" , more like .030" that our rocket scientist observed)....and lays that out on his fixed scale four times, we have .1.0000"
* one takes his movable scale (the vernier) and lays out five (maybe only four) stadia spaced at .025".
*one than hooks the movable scale / vernier to a 40 TPI lead screw, and VOILA,...

One full rev of the elevation knob gives one .100" ( a "point" ) of travel. That is why one gets so comfortable with crankin' those knobs (and wearing out their lead screws, gibs, and bushings.)

Now that we've got this out of the way, I'd like to say that having spotted for you a time or two, and having had the good fortune of having you spot for me, that you've just gotten to damn GOOD at this.

From here out, in fairness to us pikers and useless noisemakers, I think you should do all of your call outs in Arshins, or Cubits, or something that will get you back to actually thinking about alla' this.

Now GFY.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain