Originally Posted by Spike12
I have two S&W Series 'E' 1911s. One is the all steel full size and after loving that one so much I bought the 4" Scandium Frame, bob tail version. Of the 4 different 1911's I've owned (Colt, SA, Para, S&W) these are by far finished the most flawlessly. The 4" is now my EDC. I use Chip McCormick mags with the ones that came with the guns.

I'm very sure that the engineers and testing labs at all these companies test fire these designs WAY more than most of ever will. I see no issues of ramp problems. I have never seen hard data that says alloy frames have a significantly shorter life than steel frames.

In showing and talking about the bob tailed grip I've come to the conclusion that unless you have hands large enough to come down to the bobing part of the grip the only thing it does for you is to reduce 'print through'.

Out all my 1911's, the ONLY ones that ever had feeding problems were two 3" models, Para & a loaner Colt Defender. They were both jam-O-matics regardless of mag or ammo. Hornady FTX bullets were the worst because of their flat sides. Even factory ball would hang sometimes.

Hard data is out there, but most of it is rather old. Shortly after WW II the military did tests of aluminum 1911 frames and found the lifespans to be unacceptably short. But understand that was with the aluminums of that era, not today's aluminum.

But when you think about it, you should expect aluminum to have a shorter lifespan. How much sorter I don't know, but the nature of aluminum is that it's much less ductile than steel, and where steel will flex, aluminum typically won't, and will eventually develop a stress crack.

Still, that would be many thousands of rounds past what most people put their guns through. Relevant to a military, not so much for civilians.