Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I've thought the same thing although I wonder how that might be received in the 21st Century. Part of the original movies' appeal was the high tech (for the time) secret agent gadgets, but most teenagers today have electronic devices that surpass anything Q could have dreamed of. Trying to play up 1950's-60's era technology as something gee whiz would come across as comedic rather than dramatic.

But like you're saying, stick to the dark and gritty side of the novels and present them as Fleming wrote them. Emphasize the story over the peripherals and I think it could be a success.

One of the things I like about the Craig movies is that they have not gone overboard with the gadgets; as you say, looking back at the older films, they now seem very corny/comic..I think they just about got away with reintroducing the DB6 in Skyfall and only because a little nostalgic indulgence for us older fans rather than it adding anything to the plot.. Therefore In any 1960�s remake, I would restrict the gadgets to perhaps a minox camera and maybe a few hidden gold sovereigns.

The more I think of it, perhaps what I am actually wanting is a film based on of one Len Deighton's �Harry Palmer� books?

Last edited by Pete E; 01/09/15.