Originally Posted by 406_SBC
Originally Posted by QuarterHorse
Originally Posted by QuarterHorse
Here are the NBRSA records as of 2014. There may be some still pending. If you go to the 5x5 aggregates note that, in all weight divisions, the 100 and 200 yard records are not remotely lineal.
I've always wondered about this. http://nbrsa.org/sites/default/files/World%20Records%20as%20of%2012-30-2014.pdf
Originally Posted by Snyper
the 100 and 200 yard records are not remotely lineal.

Those records don't tell you much since they are different shooters, and different guns.

I notice none of the groups are smaller at longer distances, but it still really doesn't address the claims here about a particular gun being "more accurate" at long range than at shorter range.

Someone who owns one of these magic rifles needs to do the test to prove the phenomenon

Snyper, I agree regarding same gun, same load, same shooter. The fact still remains that the 5x5 aggregates at 100, 200, and 300yds. are not even remotely lineal. I have no background in BR but this obviously raises questions. The numbers are statistically more significant in many ways. As a general statement, "the further a bullet travels and the longer the time it spends in the air, the more it will be affected by environmentals" is a generally accepted premise. So what produces the trend in the groups? It's easier to shoot at longer yardage? Probably not. As the yardage gets longer the shooters get luckier. I don't think so. It's easier to misadjust parallax at Shorter yardage. Maybe but I don't think so.

You see my dilemma.
All time records are, by definition, anomalous events. It would be unwise to make general judgments from them.

I checked with our friends at 6mmmBR. The records are recorded in inches. The 200yds. record, in inches, is divided by two for a direct comparison to the 100yd. The respondent could not answer definitively re. the 300yd agg. record but is probably done in the same manner. Those things being true, the dispersion is linear with slight increases for the increased exposure to environmentals. Appears we still have no evidence of smaller groups at increased distances.