Originally Posted by Josh Sorensen
Originally Posted by 7x64FN
The topic was hunting in brush not bullet penetration. In that arena the semi-auto 12 bore wins every time.

Where you saying the 12ga slug will out penetrate the 9.3??

I have found the 286r Nosler Partition to be THE bullet for my 9.3x62. I�m running it right at 2460fps and it has proven very effective out to 300 yards on moose. Good expansion and complete penetration. I see it as the perfect 9.3 bullet.

The 270gr speer is far to soft for use on big game. It would probably work fine for whitetails or smaller bears but when used on moose it failed miserably. I shot a small bull in the neck at 15 yards, the bullet completely came apart. Penetration was only 3-4� and the bullet fragmented to pieces like a varmint bullet.

I�m sure the 250 accubond and TSX are fine bullets but I don�t see much need for them. If I wanted to run a 250gr bullet I would have built a 338/06 or 35 whelen. The 286gr bullet will easily reach out as far as I need it to.

I'm going to have to agree with Josh on this one. I love the 286gr Nosler partition. My 9.3 loves them even more than I do and the elk hate the hell out of them. A damn good winning combination!!! I have a load I use in my CZ 550 somewhere around here. I'll post it, but pay no attention to the 9.3 caliber holes in the target wink. I use a cheap (by some of these guys' standards) Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle scope on this rifle and the ballistic plex reticle works great out to 400 yards. After that, it drops off too much to use the 5th hash mark. I've shot pop cans out to 400 yards, but not big game (at that range) with this rifle. However, I know it would whack the hell out of anything at that range and further...

[Linked Image]

Sorry for the "cherry picked" group in the above pic. Here are some 5 shot groups instead wink :

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Keep an eye on SPS to have some good deals on the 286 gr. Nosler partitons (blemished/factory seconds). I think I paid $16.99/50 for the last few hundred I bought. Damn good place to buy bullets. The groups above and elk were all shot with the "blemished" bullets...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA