Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Isn't it amazing I have ever shot a single animal with such heavy guns? Of course I never expected anyone to take me serious about the recommendation, but few people on the campfire post much about using nice guns when they are hunting.

Still, I would bet the heavy inaccurate Sako will still bring home the bacon. I have killed plenty with heavy inaccurate model 70's too, and not one animal that I shot with them said anything about how inaccurate or heavy the gun was.

I have to post the alternative just to remind people that light guns aren't always the only answer to successful hunting...

I don't remember saying anything to the contrary....not all my rifles are flea weights. I've hunted with a fair share of pre 64's myself. 300's 338's and 375's..They work fine,and they aren't light..I don't consider 8#'s "light"...but it isn't a burden either.

Here the discussion was about "balance" and balance is not always about weight...it's about....well...balance. smile

Exactly. And a rifle that is balanced properly can actually feel lighter in the hands. If that makes any sense. It's funny, I find myself balancing my rifle on one finger sometimes when I'm carrying it in the woods. I get bored blush laugh

Back to the OP's rifle and now he posted a picture of where the balance point is on his rifle. Thanks, that is much appreciated:

Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
[Linked Image]

~ 3/4inch in front of the action screw is where the rifle currently balances.
I'll take another picture after the Talley LWs are installed.

Now we can see what you are really referring to. Your barrel heavy, not "butt end heavy". At least that's what I'm seeing and that's what I was imagining with your particular rifle. I may be the odd duck here, but I like carrying my rifle right under the front action screw. Of course, the balance point will ultimately decide where your hand is going to be when carrying a rifle in the field.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA