Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
actually only one i can think of is a 2 headed one born on a friends ranch and thats not genetic but developmental...
I've seen quite a few birth defects on large dairy farms. I have to wonder if some are caused by massive antibiotic and/or hormone injections.

granted ive never been around a dairy operation, only beef but would guess they use more pure breds than most beef raisers which means a higher incidence of bad genes circulating around....while some guys up here are nuts about pure breds most are like Sam's outfit where they run lots of crosses.....makes recessive genetic anomalies less likely....far from impossible but less likely....also like i said part of the reason ive never seen one is likely due to the small sizes of the herds ive been around....none of my family have big operations so low numbers combined with regular injections of new blood and chances of seeing defects arent that great....im sure even with new blood if any of them ran 1000 head operations i would have prolly seen something odd....simple numbers game...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books