Thanks for the info. I thought it was about that but didn't have one handy to measure.

Why not use a standard M70 action with the mags that measure 3.4" IL

I guess it's just a looney thang. I have a nice mannlicher length stock blank I'm going to use and a short action full length makes an attractive package. Longest bullets I'd use will be the 130 AB or 120 TTSX. Either can be loaded to fit the mag and if there are no other problems it'll be "sweet" for lack of a better term. Another thing I've considered is a used Kimber 84L in 25-06 rebored, set back and rechambered for the 6.5x55 (but haven't run the specs). I'd save some weight and gain some mag length but considering the price of a used Kimber and the labor involved I'd probably have just as much in the Kimber as in a rebarreled Montana 99 and more than in a rebarreled Mod 70. Still pondering and gathering parts. Son's grad present isn't finished yet and I need for that rifle to be done before I commit to this project. BTW and FYI a rebarrel from Bartlein took about a week longer than 6 months for completion.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."