Picked up a 16.5� Scout a couple months ago. The factory magazine was annoyingly long for my purposes so I purchased a used 3-round and 5-round mag. Much better.

My daughters like it and #1 wants to use it for elk hunting this fall. If she doesn�t, I might. I don�t care for forward mounted scopes and went with a standard placement. Had to use a higher than standard ring set so the scope would clear the forward rail.

Some folks would ask �If using a standard scope and reduced mag capacity, why bother?� The reason is simple � the rifle is light, handy, a lot of fun and it can do everything I want within 400 yards. For elk hunting I have 208 grain A-MAX loads that run about 2300fps. MPBR zeroed for a 6� target, drop at 400 yards is about 29� with 1917fps and 1698fpe retained. That is over 400fpe more than my .280 Rem/140g TTSX loads deliver at that range, although the .280 delivers with half the drop and an additional 300fps. Also, I plan to get a can and develop subsonic loads for the Scout. Should be fun.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.