I can understand the aversion to the hammockforums.net. It seems to be populated by safety nazis who sit by their keyboards waiting to call foul ball on everybody. I guess that's pretty much the entire internet though.

There are more of the "REI clan" there than the "Cabelas types", this is true. I have learned a lot there though and I do visit from time to time. There is a huge tendency for group think - very easy to get entangled into gear obsession and suckered into minutiae.

Back to the AMOK thing...

If I wanted super lightweight, it can be argued that hammocks are not the way to go, period. If that AMOK is super comfy, it may be worth their weight if that is what one prioritizes. It almost looks like you could just set up the whole shebang upside down as a shaped tarp and sleep on the ground if you wanted. I tend to not go out in foul weather on purpose because I enjoy sleeping under the stars so its non-tarp friendliness isn't a deal breaker. I like NOT using a tarp. Also, I don't necessarily just look at the thing for outdoor/backpacking purposes. My sleeping arrangement at the cottage is 100% hammock and this thing looks like a great permanent/indoor set up that is TV viewing friendly smile

I'm in a Warbonnet Blackbird me self also these days BTW. Went out on 01/02/15 on a 15F night in NE PA and it went quite well. I could've used more snow but I sure did need that outing after the Christmas holidays...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by alukban; 01/28/15.