I've had two people ask me this question in the last two weeks. Same question but 31 years difference in age. Funny eh, this is not a generational issue!

The Question: How long does it take to get accurate with a 70lb draw weight?

Lots of easy answers but it's actually more then that. It reminded me of the thread earlier about the sweet spot of practice sessions. First, a big guy with a long draw can get the same performance from a much lower weight. A shorter fella with a short draw will likely have to get to higher then 70 to achieve the same power.

It's not about the draw weight. My business partner is the heavyweight MMA champ of South Africa. His fitness is astonishing, he is over 7' tall and would have a 35" -36" draw length. He could get phenomenal speed with 50lb draw! ( I'm sure he could draw 100lbs easily)

The ability to shoot 70lbs accurate one time is not hard. However the ability for some folks might be the practice sessions needed. Or the smooth effortless straight back draw cycle so game is not spooked from movement. Regardless if you can draw and shoot accurate if you cannot do it quietly and smoothly your accuracy will not matter with the game leaving a vapor trail.

It seems that there is some unspoken standard that 70lb draw is needed, or that it's the "Manly" base line for bow hunting. I have hunted with quite a few bow hunters in my life. Some struggled with 60lbs, but harvest a lot of game. One fella at 6' tall 217lbs 26 years old shoots 84lbs easier then most folks shoot 50lbs. His 500 grain arrows at 299fps are at a level of power most of us can only dream of. Yet his hunting skills/experience are not fully developed. I joke with him, and he with me all the time. He says when he is my age and has the experience and skill to hunt with his power, he will be amazing. I replied when he is my age he will be shooting 60lbs so his Bursitis does not act up, or his shoulder surgeries do not come undone!

I have had quite a few lady and young hunters shoot 45lbs at 25-26" draw harvest lots of game. In thinking about this, they may have a near perfect recovery rate as well. Careful shooting by cautious folks that know they have low end power is very good. Compared in some cases to massive power dependance and sometimes hurried or risky shots.

Anyhow, I said to the two guys,

1)Aspire to shoot accurate with a low power and develop disciplined form first and foremost. Then increase weight.

2)Shoot a properly tuned bow with properly chosen arrows

3) select a bow with a rock solid back wall, 7" brace height and don't use a whisker biscuit.

4) get a bow that is light enough to practice good form and can allow you to crank up the weight over time. This may mean buying another bow down the road. Lets cross that bridge when we get to it.

Sure some of that is very strong opinion, Shoot me!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)