Since nobody else has jumped in, I will give you my two-cents worth.

If you have a house fire, a few pounds of powder is not much different than the aerosol cans that will be going off, and the paint thinner, and propane canisters, and the brandy snifter full of old book matches, etc.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about it. Your house offers a much better storage environment than a remote uninsulated garage. I don't believe your insurance would be any consideration at all, unless you went to them with the intention of talking them out of standing behind their coverage, for some reason.

If you think you need to do something to give you more peace of mind, just outlaw in your home the single most common cause of house fires in America: the common candle. Women love scented candles and frequently leave them burning unattended. Candles pose much greater risk to your home than your supply of reloading powder.

For fifty years, in several different houses, I have always stored my powder in a cabinet in my shop, which has always been part of my house. Take reasonable precautions and use common sense, and then don't worry about every remote possibility that "could" happen. Take care and enjoy your hobby.

Last edited by nifty-two-fifty; 01/31/15.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra