What Mode should I shoot?

That is probably the number 2 debate I hear at my classes and conferences that I speak at, the number one is Canon vs. Nikon of course. The answer is of course�it all depends. No Mode is right for everyone, which is why the manufacturers give you choices! I know this will start a debate and I am all for that. Please share what Mode you shoot and why.

Here is a brief explanation of what the different Modes do and their intended purpose. At the end I will tell you what I do and why as well. There are 4 basic Modes: Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and lastly Manual Mode. Program Mode chooses what the manufacturer feels is the best shutter speed and aperture for you from a set of formulas that has been programmed into the computer on board the camera. Aperture Priority means you choose the aperture and control the depth of field and the camera chooses the shutter speed to properly expose the image according to the computer�s programming. Shutter Priority means you choose the shutter speed to control movement in the image and the camera chooses the aperture to properly expose the image according to the computer�s programming. Manual Mode means you control the exposure by selecting a shutter speed and an aperture. Typically you are choosing an exposure from the meter inside the viewfinder, which is done with reflective light. I know this is an extremely simplified explanation but hopefully it gets the message out there.

What I do is a series of questions when I am shooting. The first question is �is movement of the subject a concern�? If the answer is yes, I tend to use Shutter Priority and select a shutter speed to stop movement. Increasing the ISO is sometimes needed if I am not able to achieve a proper exposure with a low ISO. The f-stop indication in the viewfinder will blink if there is not enough light usually. If movement is not a concern, the next question is �is depth of field a concern�? If the answer is yes, I ask an additional question �do I want to isolate the subject�? If that answer is yes, then I will shoot at the widest aperture or close to it, i.e. f2.8 or f4. If the answer is no, then I usually shoot at f11 or f16 for maximum sharpness and depth. I will occasionally shoot at f22 if needed and deal with any diffraction in post processing. If I am shooting with flash or in an overcast light, even fog, then I will shoot in Manual Mode and balance the meter to about +2/3 of a stop. I will say this though, I tend to shoot 90% of all I shoot in Aperture Priority Mode and I will use the Exposure Compensation to lighten or darken the exposure if needed. I have found that with the dynamic range of digital vs. film I am able to shoot in Aperture Priority with great results.

Tell me what you do and why! Camera Land has pretty much finished their move and are ready to ship lots of stuff out! Give them a call for all of your camera needs. Talk with Joel or Mark and let them know you are a member of the Campfire for the best always pricing!

The images below simply demonstrate a slow shutter speed to allow movement in the image while the other shows a higher speed to make sure there is no movement.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by CameraLandTamronPhotAdv; 01/31/15.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.