The owner let me bring all of the firearms to my house to clean and inspect more closely and this one is really in a lot better shape than those original pictures showed. I took off the surface rust with Hoppes #9 and 0000 steel wool and it has a fair amount of freckling but it retains a lot of the original finish. It takes apart very easily and the barrel is serial numbered to the receiver. The wood is sound with no cracks or punkiness from soaking in old oil.

One neat thing which was unexpected is that the bore is clean as a whistle. I ran some #9 soaked patches through it expecting to find years of gunk but they came out absolutely clean.

Based on what I saw when I got it cleaned up and compared to the pics of ones getting the $300 bids I raised the starting bid $100.

Thanks again for that link to the Remington barrel codes - the code on this is WW which puts DOM as August 1928. I found out from the owner it was his Grandmother's gun, as is a Model 12 20 gauge shotgun which was made in 1921.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!