We'll have to agree to disagree. Most under 40s don't even know what a 222, 250-3000, 300 Savage, 7x57, 8x57, 9.3x62 etc. are. and complete entry level rifles in those cartridges would never make it. (Ask Savage about their 7x64 "Euro" model)

I think we can all agree, if we were limited, as in Europe, to so many rifles, we could all survive with a 22RF, a 223, a 30-06 and a 375 H&H. Ammo everywhere and a plethora of used and new rifles. Add a 12 bore pump and you're ready to do the world.

Rifle loonies are not the percentage of shooters they were back in the Scheutzen days and never will be. If you want to mess around like I do, you can buy a Savage/Marlin/Ruger switch barrel bolt gun and go over to the dark side as deep as your pockets allow.

I know ! "The Beast" started life as a right bolt left port Savage 6.5/284.
Given to the tender mercies of Scott Null up in Driggs ID, it's now a 338 RUM, 3 groove 36" nitrided barrel and a scope/mounts that cost 250% of the rifle's cost.
It's a 3000 fps 300 gr Berger VLD rifle that will shoot 1/2 MOA as far as I can see.
Yes, you cannot unload a loaded round w/o removing the bolt ...... never have. Empties clear fine. With the sled about 50 pounds and a joy to shoot off a high bar stool. The barrel will never wear out, but if I ever got bored I could send it back to Scott, drop another $600 for a new bbl and bolt head and have anything from a 17 Hornet to a 460 Weatherby. A'int progress wonderful ?

[Linked Image]

At the other end of rifle looniedom is my mint bore 41 Swiss, converted to CF that uses modified 8 mm Lebel cases (I thirst for that rifle) and easily exceeds the ballistics of an 8" 44 Magnum revolver. Shoot 5 300 gr cast ones in 2" @ 100 and if I draw, will go speed goat hunting this fall. (2-7 Burris IER on a 9422 Weaver base, perfect fit, JB welded on barrel.)

[Linked Image]